But whether or not you find them weird, I am very sure you will find them all useful.
What are your favorite animal-inspired exercises? Please share yours in the comment section. Also post any questions you have there as well.
The Squat Walk
A damn good joint conditioner, right here.
This movement works to supple the hips, strengthen the knees, mobilize the ankles, and stretch the toes.
Be sure to keep your torso as upright as possible, while driving your knees forward and down towards the ground–pushing into deep dorsi-flexion.
Movements like this may sometimes look silly, but they serve the useful purpose of bullet proofing the joints.
Remember, my friends, an active hinge never rusts.
This is a little different from the bear crawl. The bear crawl features a fairly wider stance with toes and hands pointed out. The leopard crawl is more compact, with feet and hands straight.
The leopard crawl is also to be performed speedily–once you have the contra-lateral pattern down, of course.
The Bear Push Up
The aim here is to push your chest as far out over your hands as possible while descending into the push up.
This requires much in the ways of wrist mobility, core stability, and upper body strength.
A Real “Perfect Push Up”
1. Hands are set up underneath shoulders with a fairly narrow grip (your thumb should be positioned inside of your shoulders, or your pinky lined up right along the outside of your shoulders)
2. Neutral spine is maintained at all times. Do not allow the belly to sag. And do not pop your butt into the air, less you’re trying to make friends in prison.
3. Forearms should be vertical, or very close to at the bottom position. Elbows in.
A “Real” One Arm Push Up
The Squat Burpee
And movement should never be served as slop. Ever.
And I like the burpee, I really do. But slop disgusts me.
Next time you go to do burpees, try this out:
The Squat Burpee.
1. Full ass-to-ankles bodyweight squat
2. Sprawl into plank
3. Push Up
4. Recover into the bottom squat position
5. Stand Up
This variation is clean and lower-impact. Focus on moving as gracefully as you can, not as speedily as you can. Speed and power will come with proficiency.
When you try to add power before precision, you get slop.
Spiderman Push Up
Here’s What I Got Lined Up For
Inner Circle Members This Month
CLICK HERE to try out the Inner Circle for a month. No obligation. Cancel anytime.
4 Full Strength and Conditioning Programs, Each One With a Specific Emphasis:
- The Great Unnameable Strength Program, Phase 2
A continuation on what is perhaps the ultimate general physical preparedness program for efficiently building the full spectrum of strength, muscle, mobility, and capacity.
- The Muscle Maker
A specialized program variation designed for those who specifically want to add muscle mass. This is NOT a kettlebell only program. No need to use a spoon to dig a whole when you can use a shovel.
- The Fat Blaster
Summer is coming to a close, but with the fat-blaster, you can still make it to the beach and turn some heads. This high-impact S&C program is heavy on metabolics, intermittent fasting, and all the other “tricks” for stripping fat fast.
- The Time-Crunched
Specifically for those who want to get in and out of the gym in 30 minutes of less. The Time-Crunched is a GPP program designed to provide maximum impact in the least amount of time possible.
- Specific Nutritional Protocols
There will be specific nutritional and, if it be necessary, supplementation protocols to go along with each program. These are essential for success.
- “The Deleted Scene” From Paleo Workouts for Dummies
Bloopers if you will. I was going to put this into my “For Dummies” book, but I figured Inner Circle members would find it far more enjoyable.
- BONUS ARTICLE: THE NO BS, TAKE NO PRISONERS, NO-HOLDS BARRED, STRENGTH BOOST, FAT BLASTING, BOOTY SHAKING,MINIMALIST STRENGTH PROGRAM FROM HELL(?)…NO(!)…WORSE, WISCONSIN!
My latest article and full program from Breaking Muscle.
Inner Circle Webinars:
- Self-Talk (The Missing Link In Your Fitness Program): How to Program Yourself for Success
Discover the power of “self-talk”, and how to you MUST go about talking to yourself, both out loud and in your head if you ever want to realize your true potential. Specific scripts will be given. All you have to do is DO!
Inner Circle Coaching Call In Days
- 15 Minute Speed Coaching Calls. Bring It!
Paleo Recipes of the Month: TBA