You CAN put on size with kettlebells. There is no debate about that. But remember, the kettlebell is simply a tool. And in some cases, certain tools may be more effective than others. In a lot of cases, people are simply unable to realize this, which makes them a tool.
So what I’m going to present to you today, is the most effective and efficient way to put on size with kettlebells,if that is what you so desire.
And yes, it is possible to be effective while being inefficient and vice versa.
Effectiveness relates to doing the things that get you closer to your goals and efficiency is about performing a given task in the most economical manner possible (or putting forth the minimum time and effort required completing a given task. Remember the bare minimum rule?)
Don’t be the loser that is incredibly efficient at being ineffective. That’s just silly.
Now realize that when it comes to putting on size, just because you feel like you can do more doesn’t mean that you should! Too often, the biggest mistake that folks make when it comes to trying to add some mass onto their frame, is that they simply do too much. Remember, it’s not about how hard or how often you train, but rather how smart you train, and how efficiently and effectively you are able to recover.
With the Prometheus Protocol, we have undoubtedly subscribed to the “less is more” philosophy.
Except when it comes to eating; where more is certainly more. 🙂
Here is what you will need for the Prometheus protocol:
1. Two Relatively Heavy Kettlebells
2. 2 Days a Week to Dedicate to Training
3. Stock Options in Chipotle
The Prometheus Protocol may very well be the simplest program you will ever follow, as it requires you to train only 2 days a week. Need I remind you however that simple rarely equals easy?
When it comes to putting on size our goal is to elicit a maximal hormonal response (particularly growth hormone, testosterone, and IGF-1).
We will utilize two of the biggest compound kettlebell movements for this:
1. The Double Kettlebell Front Squat
2. The Double Kettlebell Clean and Press
Between these two movements, just about every single muscle group in your body will be taxed. Both of these exercises are exceptionally high in neuromuscular activation, and when loaded with an appropriate amount of weight, will indeed elicit quite a remarkable hormonal response.
The program itself as I mentioned earlier only has you training two days a week. DO NOT TRAIN ON CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF THE WEEK! Please allow for at least two days of rest in between each training session.
I do not care whether you perform your sets of front squats or double clean and press first, only that you complete the prescribed amount of sets and reps which are as follows:
Double Clean and Press – 10 sets x 5 reps @ 60-80% of your 1 rep max
Double Kettlebell Front Squat – 10 sets of 5 reps @ 60-80% of your 1 rep max
It’s no mystery that you need to move heavy weight around to put on size. But in order to achieve the best response for muscle hypertrophy we must use a tactical mix of volume, density, and intensity.
Here are the rules:
1. Rest periods between sets should be between 60-120 seconds
2. Use a weight that is between 60-80% of your one rep max. It goes without saying (except for the fact that I’m saying it…) that you should use the heaviest weight you possibly can so long as you are still able to hit the required of reps and keep your rest periods under 120 seconds.
3. If done correctly, each training session should take NO longer than 30-40 minutes.
Now let’s talk about food, because you are going to need a lot of it.
Now the goal of the Prometheus Protocol is to put clean size on you, not to make you an amorphous lard-ass. Follow these rules in order maximize muscle gain, and minimize fat gain.
1. Eat only low glycemic carbohydrate sources. You do not need insulin to be oozing out of your eyeballs and fingernails for you to put on size, only an adequate caloric surplus. And yes, even post workout you do not need simple carbs, as insulin is already at peak sensitivity. Your pancreas will thank you later. (Chipotle burrito bowls are my preferred weapon of choice – brown rice, black beans, chicken, salsa, cheese, and guacamole)
2. Consume a quick digesting protein source (such as whey protein) 30 minutes post workout, and then eat a meal of protein and carbs 60 minutes post workout to replenish muscle glycogen.
3. Eat often and to the point of discomfort. I’m not joking.
4. Fast once a week for 24 hours. Nothing but water, green tea, and/or black coffee. This will not only help to minimize fat gain and allow for an increase in both growth hormone pulse frequency and amplitude, but will also ensure that protein up-take doesn’t down-regulate.
Follow all of the rules that I have presented and I DARE YOU to NOT put on size with the Prometheus Protocol.
Please post any questions you may have in the comment section.
Two Minute To-Do Mobility Drill
inute To-Do drills for our newsletter subscribers(which if you aren’t on our newsletter then you are missing out on a TON of great content – check out these seven SUPER COMPELLING reason to subscribe! – you’ll even get a free ebook out of it!), but this one I feel is of such worth that I just need to share it with everyone. The goal of this weeks Two Minute To-Do is to spend two minutes in the squat position practicing hip rotations. Below is the video. Enjoy. And please post any of your favorite hip mobility drills in the comment section below.